Arizona Divorce Laws 2024: A Complete Guide for Everyone!

In Arizona, getting a divorce can take a long time, but it might be the best thing to do if you and your husband can’t live together anymore. If you want to end your marriage quickly and easily, you should learn how to file for divorce in Arizona.

This guide will tell you everything you need to know about getting a divorce in Arizona. It will help you start the process of ending your marriage.

Who Can File for Divorce in Arizona?

People who want to file for divorce in Arizona’s state courts must live in the state. To get a divorce in Arizona, you or your partner must have lived in the state for at least 90 days before you file the paperwork to end your marriage.

If you are a military member and were stationed in Arizona for at least 90 days before you started the divorce process, you will be considered to have met the state’s residency standards.

File for Divorce in Arizona

When you file for divorce, you have to say why you want to end your marriage. This basically means that you have to show that there are good reasons for ending your marriage.

In Arizona, as in all other states, there is no-fault divorce, which happens when one partner says the marriage can’t be fixed. The court will give the divorce even if only one partner says this. There are different rules if you got married under a vow.

Covenant Marriage in Arizona

Arizona is one of several states that allow civil marriage. If you want to get married in a covenant way, you have to go through premarital therapy and include a special note with your marriage license application saying that you want this family structure.

Only certain things, like the ones below, will allow you to get a divorce after entering a covenant marriage:

  • Your partner cheats on you.
  • Your partner does something very bad and is sent to jail.
  • Your partner has left you and not stayed with you for at least a year.
  • Your partner hurt you, your kids, or a family member who lived with you physically or sexually.
  • Your partner abused your feelings or hurt you in the home.
  • You and your partner have been living apart legally separated for one year, or there have been two years in total without getting back together.
  • Your partner drinks or does drugs often.
  • You and your partner both agree that you want to end your marriage.

If you are in a vow marriage, you can’t change your mind about getting a divorce. You have to live with the choice you made when you got married.

Divorce Paperwork in Arizona

Once you have filed the papers with the court to start the divorce process, you must then give your spouse notice. This means you need to let your spouse know that you have filed for divorce. You can give your partner the divorce papers in a number of different ways. Some of these are:

  • Acceptance of service: In this method, your partner signs a form in front of a notary to say that they have received and agreed to the divorce papers.
  • Service by mail: If you use this method, you must get a proof signature and the other person must sign the papers.
  • Publication: If you can’t find your partner, you might be able to let them know by putting the notice in a newspaper or some other public place. This is generally the last option when none of the other ways of serving have worked, and the court has to agree to it.

After being served with papers, your spouse usually has 20 days to reply, or 30 days if they live out of state. If your partner doesn’t answer, the court can get a divorce on their own. This means that the things you asked for in your court papers would be given automatically.

As long as your spouse responds, the divorce process will move forward. It will be either contested or uncontested, based on whether you and your spouse have agreed on the terms of the divorce.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *